Open to AWARD Fellows with master’s and doctoral degrees
AWARD is pleased to offer this exciting opportunity to 2009 AWARD Fellows to strengthen their science skills at top-notch research institutions, including CGIAR centers worldwide. Successful applicants will participate in a research attachment of three to nine months. Fellows will work with renowned scientists in their areas of interest. They will acquire skills in the use state-of-the-art equipment and resources. Designated senior staff will supervise fellows during the period of their attachment at the host institutions. Fellows will present their research in an internal seminar at the end of their attachment.
I. What is on offer?
Attachments available for research and development in the following disciplinary areas and fields:
- Agricultural economics
- Agricultural extension
- Aquaculture/aquatic resources and fisheries management
- Biodiversity conservation
- Food sciences and nutrition
- Livestock production/nutrition
- Natural resource management and ecology
- Molecular biology (applied to plant/animal breeding)
- Plant and animal virology
- Soils and Crop sciences (including horticulture)
- Water and irrigation management
The AWARD research placements are generously funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID and NOVUS International (with a focus on livestock).
- Information on potential host institutions is available below.
- Fellows can also suggest host institutions of choice directly to Margaret Kroma, AWARD fellowships manager and science coordinator (email@example.com).
Applicants are strongly urged not to contact potential institutions directly. Requests for attachments at specific host institutions must be accompanied by a letter of justification for that institution, with proposed research or development work to be carried out during the attachment period.
II. How do I apply?
Please download the attached application materials. You can also download the application materials from here. The application package includes:
The application package includes:
(click on the document name to download)
1. AWARD Competitive Attachments_ 2010 Call For Applications
2. AWARD Competitive Research Attachments_2010 Application Form
3. Curriculum vitae format
4. Science attachment FAQs
Should you be unable to use this link, please request a copy from AWARDFellows@cgiar.org.
Please submit completed application materials by email directly to:
Marion Kihori (firstname.lastname@example.org), copied to Margaret Kroma (email@example.com)
Deadline for receipt of applications: April 15, 2010
III. Who selects the applicants and when will the results be made public?
An AWARD selection committee will select successful applicants guided by clearly defined criteria based on proposal quality, relevance of the suggested research/training to pro-poor agricultural development and to smallholder production systems in Africa.
Results of applications will be announced by mid-July 2010.
Fellows will start their attachments beginning January 2011.
Potential host institutions:
BecA (Biosciences east and central Africa)
- The International Potato Center (CIP)
- The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)
- Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR)
- The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT)
- The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
- The International Rice Research Center(IRRI) pdf document
- The International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
- The Internatioanl Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
- The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas(ICARDA)
- The International Crops Research Institute for Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) pdf document
- The International Water Management Institute (IWMI)
- World Agroforestry Centre
- The WorldFish Center
- WARDA (African Rice Center) pdf document
Stellenbosch University pdf document
Parco Tecnologica Padano pdf document
This list will be updated regularly, please check back soon.